Here is an example of a personal commercial.
Let’s say I’m the president of a company that sells advertising specialties…
- Name. “Hi, my name is Jeffrey Gitomer.”
- Company Name. “My company is (I’m the president of) Continental Advertising.”
- Creatively say what you do. “We impact your image, create sales, and ensure repeat business by providing innovative advertising specialties that keep your name in front of your customers and prospects.”
- Insert your Power Question(s). “How are you currently using ad specialties?” (Variations: “What are you doing to keep your name in front of your customers every day?” “How often do you contact your present customers?” “What are you doing to ensure that your name is in front of your customers more than your competitors?”)
- Insert your Power Statement(s). (How you help)(May be modified based on answers to Power Questions.) “I think we can help you. We have creative brainstorming sessions with our clients where we bring together a small team of our people and yours. We place various items on the table that relate to your business and the customers you serve. This process creates dialogue that leads to innovative products that complement your marketing plan and impact your customer’s image of you. Not only is it productive, it’s fun.”
- Why the prospect should act now. Would you like to schedule a brainstorming session, or have lunch first and preview a few items to get a better feel for what I mean?”
Use this example to help you write your own commercial. After you write it, rehearse it. Then go try it out and adjust it for the real world. Practice it (more than twenty-five times in real situations) until you own it.
Your Personal Commercial Worksheet
Your commercial is your opportunity to provide information to create interest and response from prospects. It is NOT a bunch of boring facts about what you do — rather it is a series of questions and statements designed to communicate how you help others and solve problems. It is the prelude and the gateway to a sale.
Company Name ________________________________________ What you do (creatively/briefly) ______________________ Power Question ________________________________________
(Ask more follow-up questions until you get the information you need.) Power Statement ________________________________________ How you help others solve their problems ______________ Why prospect should act now ____________________________
Instructions. Fill out the form. Read it from top to bottom. Time it. Practice it. Practice it. And voila!