Toward Error Free Positive Communication
When someone talks to you, updates you on a project, asks you to do something, assigns you a task, has a business communication of any kind or just needs a favor…here is a method that has proven effective in eliminating misunderstandings and errors:
1. Focus on the communicator.
- Stop – whatever else you’re doing. Distractions cause errors.
- Look – at the person who is talking. People communicate both verbally and non-verbally.
- Listen – with your eyes and ears. Using eye contact increases listening intensity.
2. Write the communication down.
- Writing the message or task reduces error by 90%.
3. Repeat it back.
- Repeating gives the communicator peace of mind that the message has been received & understood.
- Repeat all dates and numbers twice.
4. Get confirmation.
- The communicator will appreciate acknowledging that you are correct in receiving and understanding the communication.
5. Deliver what you promised.
- Delivering is as important as listening, writing and confirming – combined.