Basic vision and understanding…
Writing and getting published are two different things. Most people think of them as the same — nothing could be further from the truth.
Here’s the formula — (it’s a secret that I usually charge hundreds of thousands of dollars for — but because I like you)…
1. Get a theme. (mine is sales and customer service)
2. Title the column. (mine is “Sales Moves”)
3. Select your target “prime” publications. (mine is weekly business publications)
4. Decide how often you want your stuff to appear. (mine is weekly)
5. Decide how long you want each column to be. (mine is 750 words)
6. Decide you are writing in the third person — not a bunch of “I call that…” crap.
7. Write two articles.
8. Develop snappy titles that catch the eye and capture the attention.
9. Develop ten or twelve more titles of articles.
10. Develop a method and reason to contact you (at the end of the article) so you can get direct leads — it’s one of the two big secrets. (the other secret is getting through to editors who are sure they know everything, and you don’t)
11. Develop a “one-pager” about the column, what it contains and who it will impact. The most important is who it will impact (and how the reader will benefit and make the publication look good)
12. SEND THE PACKAGE TO A QUALIFIED FRIEND BEFORE YOU SEND IT TO AN EDITOR. They will give you feedback first — then take it to an editor in your home town to get their HONEST reaction.
13. After their reaction, brainstorm a plan of attack.
14. Write a sales script that’s guaranteed to work in just a few short years.
14.5 Stay the course it goes REAL SLOW but it works if you believe it will and if you can write.
1999 All Rights Reserved. Don’t even think about reproducing any material in this document
without written permission from Buy Gitomer & Jeffrey H. Gitomer. 704/333-1112 Get Published
“GET PUBLISHED” faxback #181