8.5 Qualities of a Leader
Here are a few leadership challenges to ponder.
If you want to lead, where do you start?
Are leaders born or made?
What are the leadership skills you need to develop?
Are you tired of being a follower?
Want to be a leader? Here’s what it takes.
1. Maintain a positive attitude.Solution oriented. Action oriented. People oriented. Their enthusiasm begets success.
2. Embrace change.Change is certain. Followers tend to resist change. It is the mark of a leader to embrace change and take advantage of the opportunity it presents.
3. Deploy courage.Douglas MacArthur said, “Courage is just fear that holds out a little longer.” Good advice. George Patton said, “I don’t take counsel from my fears.” Good advice. Leaders choose courage.
4. Take a risk.The biggest risk is to never take one. Leaders are determined to win or try again.
5. Listen.Leaders listen to learn. Your prospects know their needs and they know what’s happening on the front lines of their business. Just listen.
6. Communicate.Leaders set the example for open communication. Use their heads. Say what they feel. Speak from their heart.
7. Delegate and Empower.Leaders share responsibility. They don’t dictate, they set examples for others to follow. Leaders encourage growth in others by challenging them to take new responsibility, encouraging them to succeed, and supporting them if they fail. Leaders understand that mistakes are lessons on the way to success.
8. Understand others, yourself and your situation.Leaders understand the importance of an open, inquisitive mind. A constant quest for knowledge brings greater understanding.
8.5 Commitment.Commitment is the catalyst that makes all the other leadership qualities a reality. Daily rededication to commitment is the difference between leaders and would-be leaders.
Start small. Lead a group or committee. Do what ever is necessary to make it a winner. Do it again, until it begins to feel natural. Respect the power of leadership, and the power of the people you seek to lead.
c 2005 All Rights Reserved – Don’t even think about reproducing this document without written permission
from Jeffrey H. Gitomer and The Sales Bible 704/333-1112.