Its Thanksgiving! Its the coolest holiday of the year to me. I love Thanksgiving. Food, family, you name it. Its a time to be thankful.
But I want to challenge you on the way that youre thankful, and I want to give you some things to think about during this holiday season – the kickoff to the holiday season, Thanksgiving. (or is it now Halloween?)
I dont want you to just be thankful for things. I also want you to thank. Thank people. Not be thankful for something, rather be thankful for someone. And dont thank them by email and dont give some insincere Thanksgiving card to people and think youve gotten away with it.
You thank people on the phone if theyre far away. Not with a voicemail but person-to-person. If theyre far away, thats sometimes the only way you can thank them. And you thank people in-person if theyre in your marketplace or in your area.
Heres a list of people to be thankful for and to personally thank:
- Your customers. Without them youd have no money.
- Your co-workers because without them there would be no team or family of people to help your customers win.
- The people of influence in your life because those are the people that have actually created the atmosphere for you to become successful.
- Your prospective customers. Thank them for the opportunity.
- Your vendors. Theyre the people who have actually made it happen in your business.
- Your close business friends because theyre the ones that have given you the referrals.
- And then theres family. Start with your extended family, the big picture of who your family is all the way out there to those distant relatives.
- Then thank each member of your immediate family. You know the ones who really mean a lot to you. The ones you really love.
And around your Thanksgiving table, prepare a short talk about the gratefulness and the gratitude that you have for all the people that surround you. Tell them how you really feel. Use the words love and appreciate. Thank each one personally for something that happened, or something they did for you, or something you learned from them during the past year.
Thanking other people for something makes them feel great but it makes you feel better than great.
Heres the secret: Early in the morning on Thanksgiving Day, begin the day by thanking yourself. Go in the bathroom, look into mirror, and thank yourself.
Be thankful for the lessons that youve learned, the successes that youve had, and the issues that youve had to overcome during the year. Be thankful for your family. And while I recognize some people in your family are closer than others, on this day be thankful for all of them. And be extra thankful for the ones that you really share genuine love with.
Thanksgiving is not a holiday, and it certainly isnt the day before Black Friday, and it definitely isnt three days before Cyber Monday.
Thanksgiving is your day. A celebration day. A family day. Its the day where you come to the realization of who you are and how thankful you are. A day to celebrate who you have become. And a day to acknowledge others who have helped you become who you are.
And for all of you who are reading this, Im thankful and grateful for you, my customer. Thank you for your contribution to my business success and thank you for your loyalty, your continued loyalty, to my message.
Im going to make you a promise. 2019 is going to be an amazing year. All you have to do is show up and work hard. Give thanks for that. Celebrate that.