I’m often asked if there is some secret for consistent sales performance. The answer is simple: Have a great Monday. Have a great Friday.
If you’re looking for consistency in selling performance, try these seven steps. You won’t believe how lucky you start to get:
- Make a sale on Monday morning to start the week.
- Listen to a sales training podcasts on Monday morning. (mental weight lifting)
- Make enough (at least 5) appointments on Monday to ensure a productive week.
- Listen to a sales training podcasts on Friday morning.
- Make a sale on Friday afternoon to end the week.
- Confirm and solidify your Monday appointment on Friday.
- Make 5 appointments on Friday for next week.
Monday. How you do the first day sets the tone for the rest of the week. And how you do on Monday is based entirely on how smart you worked last week. If you are disciplined enough to follow these methods, you won’t believe the difference it will make in your week and your productivity.
- Make a sale first thing Monday morning… Set an appointment for early Monday morning you are confident will buy. It makes you feel great to capture a sale to start your week. Sets you in motion and gives you a mental boost to work harder (and make another one).
Since there are a lot of companies having sales meetings on Monday AM, you’re as productive as you can be with an appointment. You can start making sales calls after 10am. (If time permits you can also try a few calls before 8am. Lots of decision makers are early risers.)
- Learn something new… Download a training or motivational Podcast/CD into your car, and instead of listening to the same old news, try to feed your head with new knowledge that will help you make that first sale. When you learn a new technique on the way to an appointment, you can try it out in minutes.
- Make at least 5 appointments for the rest of the week… Why not have a Monday full of success and positive anticipation. It’s up to you. Pick up the phone and work at it.
Friday. How you do the last day sets the tone for next week. Most people slack off. If you work intensely on Friday, it will ensure success next week and give you good reason to have a great weekend.
- Learn something new… Continuing your sales education throughout the week on a regularly scheduled basis is as important to your success as any other aspect of sales, but make sure you listen on Friday morning.
- Make a sale on Friday afternoon… Schedule a close for Friday afternoon… nothing like ending the week on a positive note.
- Confirm and solidify your Monday appointment on Friday… If you worked hard the last four days, you’ve already set your “Monday AM make-a-sale” appointment. Call the prospect on Friday and confirm it.
- Make at least 5 appointments for next week… Why not guarantee yourself a full schedule next week? Spend your weekend relaxing instead of worrying about how few appointments you have.
Make this commitment to yourself. I won’t leave work on Friday until I have 5 appointments and I’ve have set my Monday appointment/sale.
Sounds simple. Make appointments, listen to podcasts, make sales. It is simple. It just isn’t easy. But if you work intensely, you can do it. I can make one promise to you… follow these seven guidelines and you’ll have sales consistency (you’ll also make money).
The secret to a great week is to use Monday as a springboard.
Schedule an appointment for Monday morning you’re certain will be a sale.